Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Best of 2014: K-pop

2014 is coming to an end, so I also want to talk a bit about the Korean music industry. As you probably realized, I'm not really a big Kpop fan anymore. I'm still listening to korean music from time to time (especially older music), but I just don't really enjoy it as much as I did in the past.

This year has been a very dramatic year for Kpop. Two members of Ladie's Code died after an accident which shocked the whole Kpop fandom. Then we saw lots of members who left their group and a few who even filed lawsuits against their companies.
S.M Entertainment had a very bad year. Jessica leaving Girls' Generation and EXO losing two members were pretty hot topics and surprised a lot of fans. To me it just shows that the Industry isn't all that nice as we would think..

But enough about the bad news, I still want to talk about a few awesome songs that I didn't have the time to review before.

EXO - Overdose

It's a shame I never talked about this. This is also the last song with all the members still in it and even though it was released early in the year it is still a song I like. Overdose is a pretty strong dance track. It gets me pumped up and I just really like how serious it is. EXO's songs still didn't disappoint me until now, so it is sad to see them losing members and fans.


T-ara - Sugar Free

This is probably my favourite Kpop song of the last few months and shows again that T-ara never disappoints. Sugar Free is a freaking catchy song and follows their usual techno disco style.
The MVs are giving me headaches and the dance isn't anything special either but it's still nice to see the members looking all beautiful. ^^


Kyuhyun - At Gwanghwamun

Within SuJu I think Kyuhyun has the best voice. So it made me really happy to see him getting a solo debut. But well, I don't really like ballads thaaaat much. Like, there are deifinetely ballads that I LOVE and some just have awesome instrumentals and lyrics but I get bored by ballads really fast (especially Korean, since there are just sooo many Korean ballads that just sound the same). SM The ballad also wasn't really my cup of tea, but as I usually enjoyed enjoyed Kyu's OST songs and stuff, I hoped this to be good (Edge of RainThe way to break up and Listen to you are like three of my favourite ballads ever!)
And I have to admit, I like ''At Gwanghwamun''. I mean, it won't be my favourite song or something, but I'm surprised how well this turned out. The song isn't a snooze fest as it's actually pretty emotional and the chorus is beautiful. I mean, of course I'm a bit biased because I love Kyuhyun's voice, and that's definetely what makes this song special for me. If it wasn't for his voice I would probably like it a lot less. The video is pretty boring but seeing Kyuhyun is nice enough I guess.^^




My TOP 2 favourite korean songs of 2014

I really didn't review a lot of korean songs this year, but there are two songs that I absolutely love.

First of is Orange Caramel's Catallena (my post). This is actually also the only korean CD I purchased this year! I really love the whole concept of this release, the song is freaking catchy and the lyrics are also very inetersting. Then video is so interesting and different!


But I guess the song I liked the most this year is Gain's F**k you (my post). I really love the song and I'm just so impressed that Gain talked about abusive relationships, which is such a serious topic. The video is brutal but I think it is executed very well and shows the struggles of such a relationship.




Coming to an end now, I do think I will continue to listen to Kpop a bit. There have been a few very good comebacks this year. I would say everything I reviewed was very well done and I lieked those few releases. But as a whole I'm just not interested in it as much as I used to be anymore...
Well, let's see what 2015 will bring in terms of K-pop music! :3

No comments:

Post a Comment