Monday, January 18, 2021

Kpop Girl Group Wrap-up 2020

Hello and welcome back to my blog.



2020 was a hard year and I am quite happy it is over. 
However, it was THE year for Kpop music. So many bops, retro concepts, amazing dances and most importantly girl groups have been absolutely owning this year.
I obviously liked some male artists as well (HELLO Taemin) but I just want to focus on my favourite girls today and tell you about my favourite kpop songs of 2020.

First of all I want to share some really cool songs, especially by rookie groups that I discovered. I am still finding new songs but this is my list for now.

Weeekly - Tag me
Aespa - Black Mamba
Cignature - Assa
Rocket Punch - Juicy
fromis_9 - Feel Good (Secret Code)
WJSN - Butterfly
April - LALALILALA
IU - eight

So now I want to go into some more detail about my favourite songs and artists of this year.

STAYC 

Let's start with this new group. Stayc just had their debut in late 2020, so they are actually one of the youngest rookie groups. Their debut song So Bad is .. not so bad. No seriously, this is a really cool song and I really like it. I have been listening to it nonstop for the last weeks. I am so excited to see more of this groups activities!!


Cherry Bullet


This is also a fairly new group as they were created im 2019. I am a casual listener and I really enjoyed Hands Up (the Für Elise sample sounds so cool). I have a special place in my heart for former Produce48 contestants and I want to see Haeyoon succeed. They already had some members leaving so I hope the best for this group.


Everglow



EVERGLOW FOREVER LET'S GO
GOT NO TIME FOR HATERS
How do they have the most iconic lyrics? Dun Dun slapped everyone in the face and LADIDA is the best retro song of the year. I quite enjoy this groups' dynamic, they are really good at the girl crush concept. Finally the line distribution is better as well and I am proud to see Yiren and Sihyeon doing so amazing.


ITZY

Itzy blew everyone away this year, Wannabe is literally one of the best songs of the year. It's so catchy and I love the dance. I wasn't the biggest fan of Not Shy though and I hope they will have a better comeback soon. But also let these girls rest as well please!!


OH MY GIRL

Listening to Nonstop makes me have this song in my head nonstop.. hehe. I actually prefer Dolphin, OMG released really fun songs this year and they are so cute.


Chungha


Chungha did so much this year, she really deserves a break. She released a lot of good songs, Stay Tonight is definitely my favourite. Dream of you is also quite good, she sings in English very naturally actually.


NATURE


Girls by Nature is my summer song! This came out of nowhere and it is soooo good. I still don't really know this group but this song changed my whole year. I can't describe the feeling it's giving me, it's very melancholic. The music is almost creepy and I love the whole concept.


(G)i-dle

Hmmm, G-idle didn't have a bad year but they got a little overshadowed in my opinion. Oh My God was awesome and Dumdi dumdi was fun. Minnie has been slaying, I love her sooo much.


CLC 

Oh damn, I have to talk about CLC now.. Elkie leaving the group makes me really sad and they are really mistreated. Helicopter is a good song but I was hoping for something even better.. now I don't even know if they will even release music anymore. Can I hope for at least one more comeback? I'm so sad...


Apink

Apink came back with Dumhdurum and it is another masterpiece. I love how they are still standing strong after such a long time and they are so stunning.


Suhyun


Suhyun released her solo debut called Alien in 2020 and I really enjoy it. She has the most beautiful voice which fits this funky song a lot. AKMU is such a great duo, but I am so happy to see Suhyun as a solo singer as well. She is still so young and I'm excited to see her further growing as a singer.


Jessi

Jessi had such an amazing year! Nunu nana is a cool song and got really popular. I'm so happy to see her getting more appreciated. Adding to that, damn that Lee Hyori cameo in her video.. talking about Hyori


Refund Sisters

Lee Hyori had a show and created this project group with Jessi, Uhm Jung Hwa and Hwasa. Can I say QUEENS, they are all so amazing!! 
I actually quite like this song. The chorus and the lyrics are really badass, the whole thing also sounds kind of like older kpop which I love. The four WOMEN are all amazing in their own ways and they look amazing!!


Sunmi


Gotta Go was so cool and pporappipam is nice song as well.
Sunmi's aesthetics are awesome and I love how she incorporated her favourite colour purple in the song and video. This is such a bop, why are her songs so good?


MAMAMOO

I was not the biggest fan of their album, Aya is still kinda fun though. However, Wanna be myself is such a good song, this could have been their official comeback to be honest.
Mamamoo concentrated more on solo work this year and I loved all the solos (I need more Wheein though..) Eclipse, Spit it out and Maria were all really cool songs but I think my favourite was Moonbyul's solo.



GFRIEND

Apple was already such a cool song but then they dropped Mago and it instantly became one of my all time favourites. The disco feeling and Yuju is literally sitting on a big disco ball. The visuals are amazing and I love the clothes so much. Adding to that, this is the year of pants and everyone is rocking them!


BLACKPINK

I used to be more excited about Blackpink but they did have an amazing year. Their international popularity is no joke and they had some cool collaborations. Sour Candy with Lady Gaga is my 2nd most played song of 2020 and I enjoy How you like that as well. Some of the B-sides of the Album are great too, I especially like Love to hate me.


Red Velvet


I'm sad that we didn't get a 5 member comeback in over a year (Psycho is still amazing though), but I'm just happy that Wendy is back. I don't know how to feel abou Irene but I hope she means her apology. So yeah, Irene and Seulgi's debut as a duo was amazing. I love all the songs and Monster is literally my most played song of 2020!! Naughty is very high up as well and it's hard to pick a favourite.. it really depends on my mood I guess.


Weki Meki


We're now entering my official top5 groups!
I was casually listening to Weki Meki for some time already, but this year I got really into this group. I knew Doyeon and Yuujong because of IOI, but tbh all the members are great. They seriously must be one of the most synchronized groups out there!
Dazzle Dazzle and Oopsy were both really fun songs and I love the dance dynamics. And then they changed their concept a little with Cool. It is, well.. COOL. This made me fall in love with them so much more. It is a little edgier while still having a unique Weki Meki sound. Adding to that, doesn't Lua look sooo cool with that hairstyle? I hope they keep up the amazing songs and have more success in the future.


Iz*one

After the fear of disbanding and people blaming the members for things that aren't their fault, Iz*one did finally come back this year.. And they had an amazing year. 
Fiesta was the long awaited comeback and the album BLOOM*IZ was pretty amazing. Secret Story of the Swan is my favourite Iz*one song of the year though, it is simply epic!! They had another comeback with Panorama, which was a pretty good songs as well. I also love their b-sides like Ayayaya, Spaceship, Pretty and Sequence.
I am a little sad about their contract ending, but also excitedto see what the members will do in the future!!


Loona


Loona had a really successfull 2020 as well. After a year they finally had their anticipated comeback with So What, which is my 3rd most listened to song of the year! It is such an amazing song and I like this cool concept. Why not is a little weird but I quite like this song as well. And I am so amazed that they have an Enflish song with Star, it is such a lovely song. I am quite happy to hear more of everyone's beautiful voices in this song. I do prefer the korean version Voice and in general think they had really good B-sides. I love Universe and Hide&Seek. I am excited to see more from the group this year, hopefully withall the members.


Dreamcatcher


Well, why would anyone dislike Dreamcatcher. They literally have no bad songs and such a unique concept. Okay, to be honest I also wasn't a fan from the beginning, but they are getting better with every comback. Scream and Boca were both amaaaazing songs, I can't chose a favourite.. their whole first album was simply perfect, they tried different genres but still sounded like Dreamcatcher. This year I especially love Red Sun, Jazz Bar, In the Frozen and Can't get you out of my mind.
Now that Handong is back and they will have a comeback this month, let's support them for their first win!!


TWICE




This was the year of TWICE. They released a freaking whole album which is like my favourite album of the year.  For title songs, while I like More&More as well, I can't stop me is just the best title song of the year. Well, until they performed Cry for me which was then my favourite song of the year. It's still amazing how the cry for me performance amazed literally everyone. Out of Eyes wide open I like all the songs but some of my favourites are Hell in Heaven, Up no more, Queen, Go hard and Handle it. Also, shout out to Fanfare and Better, which are really good Japanese comebacks and fit so well with their voices.
I just hope the girls can rest and that Jeongyeon will feel better soon.

That's it for my favourite songs of 2020. All in all this was such a good year for comebacks, everyone did such a good job. 
To finish this post I want to share my favourite show, which is Running Girls. It is 4 episodes about Hani, Sunmi, Chungha, YooA and Chuu running, but they are also getting to know each other better and talk about their personal problems and serious issues as well. Watching this show made me really appreciate Idols so much more. They are goimg through a lot and are still trying to make us smile. Seeing the girls starting friendships warmed my heart and made me so happy. I love them so much!!



Take care and see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment